Well… despite my hopes and dreams of a completely natural unmedicated childbirth, it looks like this little boy is going to need some assistance to get going…
I saw my midwife on Tuesday and we talked through the best course of action. I was prepared to have the induction talk. My main goal at this point is to avoid a caesarean, unless an emergency comes up and it is absolutely necessary. My midwife is totally on board with that, but she is semi-concerned about how big baby boy might be. So, we decided to see if anything happened on its own this week and if not, set up an appointment for me to check in to the hospital tonight at 8pm to start the induction process.
Well this little baby is already taking after his father and being very stubborn, showing no signs of coming out on his own. So, it looks like I am headed to the hospital in a few hours to start the process.
My midwife knows that I am still hoping to avoid as much medical intervention as possible, and so she is going to take things slowly with me. We are starting with some Cervadil tonight once I get checked in and then go from there. I’m hoping that after just the Cervadil or even if we have to start a very low dose of Pitocin, that my body will take over and I can labor ‘naturally’ and deliver this kid.
I have a lot of mixed emotions right now… I am SO excited to finally meet this baby boy. I am a bit disappointed that I won’t be able to wait for labor to start on its own. I am a little nervous about the fact that I am going to have a real live baby in the next 72 hours! I am hopeful that the induction doesn’t snowball into a slew of medical procedures… I am happy that the next time I am at home in my bed I might actually be able to sleep on my stomach 🙂
Ultimately, all that matters is that baby boy arrives safely and is healthy. I can’t wait to share the news and pictures of the little guy!
Wish me luck!!