I got a bit off track with these weekly posts. Thanksgiving and our trip out of town threw me off…
Anyway, here’s my latest kitchen creation. It’s from a cookbook I have that is a compilation of recipes from Real Simple magazine called “Meals Made Easy”… The recipe is for ‘Not-So-Sloppy Joes’ and here are the ingredients…
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 pound ground beef
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 hamburger buns, toasted
1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese (optional)
1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
I substituted ground turkey for the ground beef and, sadly, had to opt out of the Cheddar and sour cream… This dish was super easy to put together and took less than 30 minutes to prepare.
Also, instead of using just one regular bell pepper, I used a bunch of these mini peppers that I had.
1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add the onion, garlic and bell pepper. Cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
I have to admit I usually cheat and use this garlic already chopped!
3. Add the beef (or turkey) and cook, crumbling with a spoon, until no trace of pink remains, about 7 minutes. Spoon off and discard any excess fat.
4. Stir in the tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, black pepper, cinnamon and salt. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 12 minutes.
5. Spoon the mixture onto the bottom half of each bun and top with the Cheddar and dollop of sour cream (if using). Sandwich with the top half of each bun.
And that’s it!
Yes, I topped my sloppy joe with avocado. Strange combination? Perhaps. Delicious? Definitely.
Oh, and a good tip from the cookbook, don’t forget to toast the buns! It’s a quick step that makes sure the bread doesn’t turn to mush.
And a quick Lincoln update… he is crawling all over the place and is now OBSESSED with pulling himself up to stand. It is literally the first thing he wants to do as soon as he wakes up, and is pretty much all he wants to do throughout the day. My crazy boy…